Holes by Louis Sachar is one of the Reading Kingdom’s recommended award winning children’s books. Melissa Gaynor explains why:
What You Need to Know:
• Holes is an incredible book that would be a great addition to any bookshelf.
• This book has received many awards including the 1999 Newbury Medal.
• The movie, Holes, based on the book, was released in 2003.
• There are some violent moments including fistfights, bullying, deadly lizards, rattlesnake-venom laced fingernails, a blow to the head with a shovel, and threats of death.
• Louis Sachar is also the author of the entertaining Wayside School series.
• While this book should appeal to both boys and girls, it is a great find for boys. It has a male main character and just the right blend of humor, excitement, tension and intellect.
Holes is a rare find so don’t miss out on it! The story is captivating, the characters are engaging, the relationships are fascinating, and the details are timeless. I’m always searching for good books for boys and this one is perfect. It is a fast-paced read with vivid imagery, plenty of action and intrigue, and even some subtle humor. At the same time, Sachar eloquently delivers a story filled with meaning and positive messages about family, friendship, loyalty and compassion. He manages to create an intense, powerful, and sometimes chilling story, that is still appropriate for fourth grade and up.”
Have your children read Holes? What did they think of the book?
Did you know that the Reading Kingdom is great for developing 2nd grade reading comprehension? The Reading Kingdom is our award-winning, fun, easy-to-use online program that teaches children 4-10 years old how to read and write to a third grade level. You can sign up for a 30 day free trial, risk free!